Lightening flywheels; Was gbx shaft engagement

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lightening flywheels; Was gbx shaft engagement
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:58:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: jhassall@blacksburg.net
Jim, List,

It's time for my annual flywheel thread!

I had my '62 TR4 flywheel lightened  by a local machinist going by the
drawings in the Kastner \ Triumph racing book.

We cut out the backside of the flywheel, not the face where the clutch
disk engages the flywheel.

He removed somewhere between 8-10#. (I failed to weight it before and
after) I believe the cost of machining was about $150. It was lighter
afterward, and it was noticable, but STILL heavy, and I think that money
would have been better spent toward the aluminum flywheel I eventually
fitted. However, I would suggest that you only fit the aluminum flywheel
to a motor that you have had balanced.

The aluminum flywheed really added a lot more 'Umph' than I had
anticipated, and it is no more or less difficult to launch the car from a
standstill.

I sourced the flywheel from a guy named Joe Donnato someplace out in the
mid-west. I don't know if he still sells direct or not, it was a few years
ago, and I don't have the contact information any more. (I destroy
receipts on purpose so I don't really know how much money I've squandered
on my TR4) It's the same flywheel Moss and several other vendors sell and
is of very high quality. It's unfortunate you don't get to look at it once
it goes in. I've seen the price everywhere from $325-475 for the same
flywheel.

-jeffrey