Re: parts cross reference...

To: "Smith, Brian \(Inland-Gaylord\)" <BrianSmith1@templeinland.com>, "spitfires@autox. team. net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph Owners Digest \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: parts cross reference...
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:26:44 -0500
> I was looking at the aluminum drag racing radiators (all Al, very
> reasonably priced) and wonder if such a beast would work in a
> Spitfire.  That's the sort of stuff I was thinking about.  Like
> would a set of billet aluminum piston rods work in a TR6?  How
> about forged 5 liter ford pistons in a GT-6.  Just thinking aloud.
>
> Brian Smith

Well, to answer specifically, you could probably find an aluminum radiator
that is similar in size and shape to the Spit one, but you will have to
fabricate your own mounting brackets and possibly find longer/shorter hoses.

Aluminum rods in a street, autocross, or road racing car is a serious no-no.
Aluminum rods stretch over time, they are purely a drag race only item and
get replaced at regular intervals (I have heard as often as every 3 races...
which is less than 20 seconds of total racing use between swaps).  Will
other forged steel rods from various other cars work in a TR6 or whatever
motor you're interested, yes you can probably find a set that works.

Ford forged pistons might work, if they are the proper diameter and have the
same piston pin height as the GT6 pistons.  You have some options with the
piston pin diameter, because you can have custom piston pin bushings
machined and fitted to your rods.

So the answer to your question is yes, there are parts out there that work
and are quite a bit better than the original Triumph parts.  I can not think
of anything off hand that is a direct swap for a major Triumph component
(maybe the Ford / GM alternator conversions would be a good example though).
Lots of other items swap over if they are dimensionally similar and you are
willing to do some investigative and machining work to make them fit and
work in your application.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke