RE: TR3 rack and pinion conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 rack and pinion conversion
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:25:10 -0800
> Hello list: I seen  on VTR , adversiting  kits to change stock
> tr3 steering to
> tr4 type rack& pinion ? Has any body gone this route? How does this system
> account for the turn signal wiring?

AFAIK, all the conversions require either that you change the steering
column, wheel and turn signal switch; or else mount a new turn signal switch
somewhere else.

>  value of changing to this system

Lots of TR3s steer really hard, everyone seems to blame this on the
admittedly rather primitive original steering box.  My personal experience
is that rebuilding the box, and using full synthetic gear oil in it, is a
more than adequate answer.  Of course, I'm kind of a big guy, and my shirts
do fit tight around biceps and chest (and stomach but that's another subject
<g>), so YMMV

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, WooHoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wannabe (waiting for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly