RE: TR3 rack and pinion conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 rack and pinion conversion
From: "JPG" <jpg2@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:17:26 -0600
Randy Homanchuk wrote:

Hello list: I seen  on VTR , advertising  kits to change stock TR3
steering to tr4 type rack& pinion ? Has any body gone this route? How
does this system account for the turn signal wiring?  is the original
TR3 steering wheel &column remain the same ? what other changes must be
made to accommodate this steering system? value of changing to this
systemRandy 1960 TR3

Randy,

I, too, am considering the conversion and have done a little research,
I'm happy to share. I've seen this issue from time to time on the list,
so this might help others, too.

There is a bolt on kit from British Auto Restoration in Virginia and a
weld-up kit from TR Bitz in England.

The BAR kit costs about $1,000. I understand this is an easy install,
once you get the front apron and radiator off.

The TR Bitz kit is a little cheaper even though it comes from England.
However it's a weld-up kit and requires either welding skills or the car
must be taken to a shop to have the work done.

With both kits, you will need to have a split steering column or acquire
the upper half of the shaft. Both companies will sell you an upper shaft
for about $200 extra. With both kits you have to use a dash switch for
turn signals, although the horn will work from the center button on the
control head.

Ted Smith is the guy I've spoken with and exchanged e-mail at BAR
tr3@bar.roacoxmail.com

British Auto Restorations
4002 Brandon Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24018-1446 Phone:  (540) 989-5121

Mark Crook (unfortunate name) is the chap from England.
maddevil@supanet.com

He sent me a copy of his instruction sheet, but I'll have to send that
to you separately if you'd like, since it would be an attachment
prohibited by this list.

There is also an outfit in Australia that makes a bolt-on kit, but they
won't export to the U.S.

Hope this helps you. I'm going to wait until spring to do my conversion.
If you do it sooner, please let me know how it goes.

Jack Gleason
1959 TR 3A