Re: Radiator Overflow Bottle -- TR4A

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Overflow Bottle -- TR4A
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:59:06 -0700
Here is the 'skinny' on the overflow bottle....

Gerald M Van Vlack wrote:

>George, It attaches to the right side Radiator mount position. Keep in mind
>that the radiator in a TR4A is wider and the frame is different too. The
>bottle strap is actually formed in such a way as to position it correctly
>and not allow it to rotate while fixing the bolt. The tab goes between the
>frame and the radiator with a tab bent downwards to keep the bracket from
>rotating....

In the end I did not mount it the same place as the TR4A.  I use an air
dam that interferes with the area where the bottle would hang if mounted
using the righthand rad mount on the TR4.  Instead I flattened the
bracket and mounted to the wheel well using the same bolt as the
overrider support.

Using the radiator mount would seem to put the whole works much lower
than I would have expected but that may be due to differences between
the rad mount on a TR4 and a TR4A (which I am not familiar with).  This
is what it looks like...

http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/overflowbottle1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/overflowbottle2.jpg

(Originality disclaimer... blue & black wires and bracket on radiator
are for electric fan, air dam also partially visible).

Goodness knows why the 4s (with no-neck radiators) didn't have an
overflow originally as the radiator cap is such that it draws coolant
back in just fine as the engine cools down.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon AZ