RE: TR6 brake questions

To: <TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 brake questions
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:42:08 -0800
> I'm thinking that the rubber piston seals in the dual
> line master cylinder must be shot, both front and back.  It isn't
> likely that both would go at once, right?

I had a similar problem on my new (to me) Stag ... also discovered that the
handbrake doesn't work worth a hoot after the rear drums overheat and fade !
Fortunately there was no one coming ... the curious thing is that the seals
actually ripped rather than wearing out.  I don't know if perhaps they were
contaminated with some other sort of fluif before I got the car, or what.

> So my recent thought
> that I seemed to be pushing harder on the pedal to stop should
> have been my clue to check things out!

FWIW, that's exactly the condition the PDWA and warning light are supposed
to warn against.  Sounds like yours isn't working. (Neither was mine.)

> Do you any of you folks
> have experience with the steel lines?  Do they corrode?

The steel lines are almost certainly made to DOT specifications, which means
they are copper plated and then dipped in molten solder to prevent
corrosion.  The process works very well, unless the lines are abraded enough
to wear away the coating (and then the corrosion serves as a visible warning
that they should be replaced immediately).

Sorry, no help on the length.

Randall