Re: TR6 brake questions

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 brake questions
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:21:27 -0000
Hi Dave
I would say not to fit new pistons from most of the new sources unless the
originals are not serviceable. The reason for this is piston "pull back". A
friend fitted new pistons on a Vittesse which had real nice brakes, just he
decided to renew it all on the it's thirty years old thing. After the new
pistons he could not get a decent feel back to the system, even sat still on
the drive. I went to the car and watched and the pistons were visibly
retracting, so take 4 x 1/64 to 1/32 inch travel on each piston and you have
a lot of lost travel before the brakes start to work. We tied it down to the
"new" pistons, they were slightly smaller than the originals (a metric
approximation perhaps, being sold by a reputable dealer as correct for the
calliper) which allowed the seals to distend into the clearance slightly
more than is normal so pulling the pistons back further when the pedal was
released.
He decided to bin the new bits and clean the original pistons and refit
them, hey presto perfect brakes!

Only worth tuppence!
Graham.