Paint By Numbers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint By Numbers
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:41:53 EST
I'm about to paint my axle/differential, rear brake drums and plates, and
hubs. I'm wondering whether to paint the mating surfaces of these parts; that
is,
is it advisable to paint the machined surfaces that bolt together?  I notice
the mating surfaces on my brake drums were painted inside and out, but I don't
believe the mating surfaces of the hubs and axles were.  Given the use of
shims between the hub and axles, I don't suspect painting those surfaces makes
sense.  What about the mating surface on the wire wheel hub adaptors?  If
painting the mating surface is not advised, are there other oils or protectants
that
should be applied before bolting things together?

I'm armed and dangerous with cans of POR-15, and I want to avoid a misstep
that will be difficult to undo.

Am I correct in painting those hubs?

Many thanks,

Bill (Picasso) Stagg