RE: TR engine in Volvo?

Subject: RE: TR engine in Volvo?
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:49:06 -0800
Hi Glenn,
You're right, they look alike. They're both 4 cylinder OHV pushrod
arrangements, with distributor on left, carbs on the right. In fact most
used SU carbs.

When you start to peel away the covers the similarity ends quickly. This is
a Volvo design and you can tell by the engineering. Since it was also used
for heavy duty tractor use (another similarity to the Ford-Ferguson tractor
that used the Vanguard engine) the internals were beefed up. The camshaft
is direct gear driven with no timing chain. Volvo went to 5 main bearings
quickly after release. O-rings were used for oil sealing. Material quality
was not compromised.

John