Spitfire Hard and soft tops? little bit long!

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Hard and soft tops? little bit long!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:22:41 -0000
Hi Folks
Well we are about to collect our first ever Spitfire (well on Wednesday), a
1500. Not too much I'm unfamiliar with as much of it is the same as Heralds
which I ran for years, and this fills 2 "needs". As in I "need" a Herald
again (had too much fun in them!) and I "need" a convertible!
This will bring the fleet up to six again!
1300FWD
Toledo
Dolomite (Sprinted) 1850
2000 Saloon
2.5PI Saloon
and the new kid on the block a Vermillion 1500 Spitfire 1980 / 81 Vintage.

I'm after a bit of advice regarding Spitfire 1500 hard tops,

First, do you have to remove the soft top before installing the hard top, or
just unclip from the outside and fold down into the rear well?

Second, which hardtop seals are prone to failure, the one across the top of
the screen and the one for the rear deck seal I've been told need replacing,
any others, is it likely that 630961 the main seal which seems to go all the
way round from B pillar to front edge to other B pillar will need replacing
as well as 629584 just across the front? Should I just do the whole lot?

Third, If I am changing the rear seal, do I need 818498 the moulding or
should I be able to re-use the original, what's it made of?

Fourth, the slotted and foam spacers, what is their function?

Last how long to fit the hardtop in place of the soft top? Minutes, an hour,
several hours or day/s?!?!?!?! (with 2 Persons to lift)

Thanks in advance for any and all help, opinions, how to's or BTDT's

Graham.

---