Re: Spitfire Hard and soft tops? little bit long!

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hard and soft tops? little bit long!
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:40:04 +0100 (CET)
Cc: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Graham Stretch said:

> First, do you have to remove the soft top before installing the hard top,
> or just unclip from the outside and fold down into the rear well?

It should be OK to leave the soft top on teh car, just fold it down and
free it from the rear cockpit rail.

> Second, which hardtop seals are prone to failure,

I've never had a hardtop seal fail (but then again I don't use my hardtop
all that much), but I gather the front one gets all the rain and stuff so
is likely to fail first.

> Third, If I am changing the rear seal, do I need 818498 the moulding or
> should I be able to re-use the original, what's it made of?

Dunno.

> Fourth, the slotted and foam spacers, what is their function?

Slotted foam spacers? No idea.

> Last how long to fit the hardtop in place of the soft top? Minutes, an
> hour, several hours or day/s?!?!?!?! (with 2 Persons to lift)

It's a matter of fastening six bolts, four if you're like me and don't
bother with the B-post fasteners - I install mine within 15 minutes, maybe
half an hour if the front bolts put up a fight.

YMMV, of course.

E.

--
TR3a TS23315L - black