Re: Spitfire Hard and soft tops? little bit long!

To: technical@iwnet.screaming.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hard and soft tops? little bit long!
From: TBe749@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:59:41 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/23/04 3:25:15 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
technical@iwnet.screaming.net writes:

> First, do you have to remove the soft top before installing the hard top,
> or
> just unclip from the outside and fold down into the rear well?

Just unclip from outside, remove the two bolts holding the metal horizontal
piece attached to the rear of the soft top to the body and carefully fold down.
There is also a neat boot for the soft top while the hard top is on.

> Second, which hardtop seals are prone to failure, the one across the top of
> the screen and the one for the rear deck seal I've been told need replacing,
> any others, is it likely that 630961 the main seal which seems to go all the
> way round from B pillar to front edge to other B pillar will need replacing
> as well as 629584 just across the front? Should I just do the whole lot?

I never had any problems with seals when I had my hardtop, although It was
only a year old when I had it.

> Third, If I am changing the rear seal, do I need 818498 the moulding or
> should I be able to re-use the original, what's it made of?

Don't know

> Fourth, the slotted and foam spacers, what is their function?

There were extra rubber pieces around the rear mounting holes protecting the
body from the steel hardtop. I don't remember any others but if there were I
would presume to protect the body.

> Last how long to fit the hardtop in place of the soft top? Minutes, an hour,
> several hours or day/s?!?!?!?! (with 2 Persons to lift)

I would recommend two people to at least carry it over the back of the car
for mounting. It is quite heavy. I would guess maybe an hour if you have all
the
correct bolts and hardware with good threads. I always had trouble with the
front two bolts for some reason.

> Thanks in advance for any and all help, opinions, how to's or
>
> Graham.

Tom Beaver