To Rebore or Not To Rebore... That is the question!

To: Mike Himelfarb <mhimelfarb@shoppersdrugmart.ca>
Subject: To Rebore or Not To Rebore... That is the question!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:56:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i1OIxe8A003390
Message text written by Mike Himelfarb
>Now that I'm down to a bare block I'm trying to decide if I need to have
the cylinders bored out to oversize.  The Haynes manual says to take a
piston sans rings, insert it 3/4" into the cylinder and measure the
clearance with a feeler gauge.  Clearance should not exceed .010 in.  I
did this test and found a .013 feeler gauge can be inserted about 3/4"
of the way down between the piston and cylinder bore.

Do I need to rebore?  I'm already figuring to hone the bores because
I'll be needing rings but am worried about boring as I'll need new
pistons and the $$'s will increase significantly.  Advice?
 <

You can reassemble with new rings and the cir will run fine.  It won't be
perfect and it will use more oil and may have a bit more piston slap and
you will have to tear down again sooner than if you did rebore, but you'll
get years of enjoyment out of the car if it doesn't bother you that the
engine isn't as good as it could be.  But, depending on how many miles you
put on the car in a year, you can put off the rebore for quite some time.

But if you are a perfectionist and not having it perfect will keep you up
at night, bite the bullet.

Your choice.

Dave