RE: VTR 2004 Convention Update

To: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: VTR 2004 Convention Update
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:58:44 -0700
Cc: "'Fred Thomas'" <vafred@erols.com>, "'Triumphs'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
First off, who held a gun to your head and made you move to an area
devoid
of Triumph clubs?  Second, Phoenix isn't that far off, you can link up
with
them.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Too far to drive to meetings!
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

1) Do you want to see a mass desertion of VTR related clubs?  I've been
involved in volunteer organizations for quite a few years and a few
things
are consistent in them.  One is that everyone wants to spectate and
nobody
wants to do.  Anybody who shows the least little bit of ambition will
instantly catapult to the top.  The other is that it pays poorly.
(Zero,
actually)  Since there is no monetary incentive to do any work little of
it
gets done.

I'm sure that VTR would love to rotate the convention through each club
in
turn if it could, but few clubs possess the rare combination of enough
people with the enthusiasm and the organizational skills to pull it off.

Nor is there any money to hire it done.  We could set up a for pay
committee to organize the VTR in a different city each year but the
convention would cost significantly more than it does now and we some
complain about the current price.

As it is, VTR is at the mercy of those clubs who do step forward and
host
an event.  Considering the amount of work, the potential downside
potential
and the meager upside potential, I often wonder why they do.  But I am
most
appreciative that they do do.

2) I have for quite some time advocated that the VTR be held in
conjunction
with Triumphfest, just as you suggested.  Perhaps someday they will.
But
mixing formats can be problematic.  Those who attended the VTR/Summer
Party
saw the mixed metaphors, redundancy and appearent confusion (although it
really wasn't confusion, it was just trying to mix two traditions into a
single event).

Here's what you can do: talk to the Triumphfest folks and convince them
that a combo Triumphfets/VTR is a good idea.

I have and the consensus is that the VTR won't allow it to be held in
October so it is a "No Go" situation.  However, there would likely not
be as many problems as the combined Summer Party event because only
Triumphs would be there and not a host of other British cars as well.
So you would only have to coordinate the events schedule which are
pretty much the same for both entities.

JOe