re: Manifold nuts

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Manifold nuts
From: "Alvin Watkins" <krssamw@omh.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:21:17 -0500
I seem to remeber from back in Chemistry class (some 20 yrs ago) that it
is best to use the same material when you join surfaces ie:  steel nuts
to steel manifold, copper to copper etc. It has something to do with
their rust properties

  When I had the engine rebuilt on my TR6, the mechanic used these
brass
colored nuts to fasten the manifold. I actually dont know their
composition
but they have the property of not seizing on the studs which is pretty
cool.
What is not cool is I cannot keep them tight. The problem seems to be
that
no matter what kind of lock washer I use, the heat seems to fatigue
the
metal where the lock washer looses all of its spring and just becomes
flat.

  I am about to replace the manifold gasket one again and this time I
want
to remedy this. Does the manifold actually depend on the nut seizing to
some
degree or is my problem really different coefficients of thermal
expansion
between the different materials? Does anyone know if a lock washer I
can get
that will hold up or should I just go back to a steel nut. Oh, has
anyone
tried stainless nuts?

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended
recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged
or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in error or from
someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited
from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the e-mail.
PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.  Thank you for your cooperation.