Re: Manifold nuts

To: StevesTR@veroquest.com
Subject: Re: Manifold nuts
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:22:09 -0800 FILETIME=[FED10AB0:01C3FD66]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Steve,

The brass nuts are correct as they will not sieze.
Don't bother with split lockwashers since they don't work anyway (see
Carroll Smiths - Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners). Good quality flat washers
should be fine.
If the brass nuts keep loosening its likely you aren't getting the proper
torque on them. One other possibility is your exhaust system could be
mounted too rigidly. There should be some give to account for vibrations as
you go down the road.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR 4

>Hi-
>When I had the engine rebuilt on my TR6, the mechanic used these brass
>colored nuts to fasten the manifold. I actually dont know their
>composition
>but they have the property of not seizing on the studs which is pretty
>cool.
>What is not cool is I cannot keep them tight. The problem seems to be that
>no matter what kind of lock washer I use, the heat seems to fatigue the
>metal where the lock washer looses all of its spring and just becomes
>flat.

Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx