RE: Manifold nuts

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Manifold nuts
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:50:22 -0800
> The problem seems to be that
> no matter what kind of lock washer I use, the heat seems to fatigue the
> metal where the lock washer looses all of its spring and just becomes
> flat.
>
>   I am about to replace the manifold gasket one again and this time I want
> to remedy this.

Steve, I use brass manifold nuts on my TR3A, along with "heavy duty" split
lockwashers from McMaster-Carr (and anti-seize on the studs).  Seem to work
fine, although I do try to check the manifold nuts for tightness during a
major tuneup.  The lockwashers don't last forever either, I generally
replace them when they're off for whatever reason, if there's any doubt
about their condition.  You can see or feel when they don't spring back to
shape.

I'm not certain offhand what size the manifold studs are on a TR6, but go to
http://www.mcmaster.com/
and browse around.  The ones I use are P/N 91104A031

Randall