Re: hydraulic pipes

To: "joe maher" <jmaher0343@bresnan.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hydraulic pipes
From: "Glenn Coughenour" <gecoughenour@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:30:21 -0500
Joe,

Yes, you just have to work from underneath the car.  There are no pipes that
go between the frame and the body tub.  They are either along the frame
rails and rear axle tube, or through the cruciform frame members.  The
toughest part is probably connecting the pipes to the three way connector
that is mounted on the upper RHS side of the rear axle tube, followed by the
connection at the four-way connector on the RHS frame rail just under the
front suspension stiffening strut.  Another thing to consider.  Since I
think all the suppliers sell new pipes in coils, whether in precut kits or
not, you need to try to match the bends in the old pipes when you form the
new ones so remove them with as much care as you can.  You might be able to
bend the new pipes to match before you removed the old, but that's more
undercar work.

When I disassembled my brake pipes, I found sediment in those connectors, so
you should consider taking them off the car and cleaning them or at least
blowing them out.  The restriction valve in the inlet to the four-way
connector from the master cylinder was particularly dirty.  You also need to
inspect the connectors for any damage or corrosion to the mating surfaces
that seal the flared fittings on the pipe ends, as many more experienced
people on the list reminded me when I asked the naive question about sealing
the threads.  [Don't seal the threads, unnecessary and maybe harmful by all
accounts].

Glenn C
1959 TR3A TS31684L [in total frame up restoration]
1960 TR3A TS64803L [driving, but needs work]