Inner -> outer fender sealant?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Inner -> outer fender sealant?
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:03:44 -0800
About to affix fibreglass outer front fender to metal inner fender on TR3a.
Where there would have been caged nuts, had the fender been metal, I have
installed kind of a thin U shaped speed nut type of thing, that will
receive the 1/4" bolts coming in from the metal side.
These clips take a bit of space between the inner and outer fenders though,
so I need some kind of material that will be about that thick (maybe 1/8").
I had been thinking about that tarry roofing felt that goes under shingles
(if you live where shingles are used) but I am looking at a tube of
silicone here and thinking "I could do this job right now!!"
Any reason NOT to use silicone? It won't absorb moisture, and someday if
somebody (else) wants to remove the fender it won't be impossible.
Thoughts? I know one possible response is wait, go to a body shop supply
place, use  the same as original - but remember I am using a fibreglass
fender so originality is no longer an issue.
TIA,
Jim
2TS81417L
---