RE: manifold nuts to general nuts

To: "triumph listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: manifold nuts to general nuts
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:15:22 -0800
> I removed several nyloc nuts during my chassis rebuild that had what I
> interpreted a series of 8's stamped in to them.  Two examples are the nuts
> on the bolts that attach the tie rod lever to the hub carrier [vertical
> link].  Are those not class 8?

I am reasonably certain they are not.  First of all, SAE 'grades' were an
American convention at the time, a British car would use one of the parallel
British standards.  Checking the SPC, those nuts are given as part number
YN.2909, which the ST Hardware catalogue describes as a "Nut - Simmonds Full
Nyloc" but makes no mention of them being hardened.  Lastly, I used a file
to try to cut into the nuts that came off of my car (which also showed the
interlocked circles), they seemed to be ordinary (ie Grade 3 equivalent)
"soft" steel.

Oh, one other thing, the torque specs match those for Grade 3 hardware.
Grade 8 gets torqued tighter for the same diameter.

There are some hardened bolts on the car, for example the flywheel retaining
bolts are hardened, but they aren't listed in the standard hardware catalog.

Randall