Title nightmare!!!!!!

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Title nightmare!!!!!!
From: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:28:24 -0800
I have seen title  mentioned on this list several times the availability
of titles for cars through companies that specialize in providing them.

Today one of my friends related the story of a mutual acquaintance.
Seems this other friend built a kit car.  Then he bought a title for it
through a company out of state that specialized in titles.  Seems he
sells them the car, they register the car in their state, and then they
sell it back to him resulting in a clean title in our state.

A few weeks ago the kit car guy gets a phone call from the district
attorney.  They want to know more and they want to see the car.  He gets
an attorney, refuses to show the DA the car, and the DA puts a law
enforcement hold on the registration with the CA DMV.  It seems the DA
has the title company under investigation for "cleaning" titles.

So now the guy is paying attorney fees for protection of his car and
dealing with the DA.  He doesn't know when or if he will get the law
enforcement hold removed from his registration.  And to make it worse he
went to the DMV and got a "special built" registration number for his
car and he can't use that until the hold is taken off the car's
registration.

--
        Best regards,
        Tom