RE: brake master cylinder

To: "Andrew Taylor" <ataylor@mail.hrca.harvard.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake master cylinder
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:43:37 -0800
>  A buddy of mine suggests that
> instead of getting my master cylinder rebuilt and installed, I
> should just purchase one from Moss and put it in myself. But, I'm
> not the most mechanically apt individual and would hate to screw
> up my brakes. So, the questions are, rebuild or buy Moss, and put
> it in myself or not?

Andy, like most cars, Triumph brakes are pretty simple.  Still, the price
can be very high if you foul things up, especially since a TR4 has
single-circuit brakes.  One leak means no brakes.  MC rebuilds are likewise
pretty easy, but you have to be able to judge if your MC just needs new
seals, or has to be resleeved (and resleeving is definitely a 5 or 6 wrench
operation, meaning it's beyond the abilities of most professional
mechanics).

So, if you doubt your abilities, perhaps it would be best to take the car to
a professional, and let him do what he thinks it needs.  Most pros will not
install rebuild kits tho, for fear of being sued if something goes wrong.

Randall