RE: octane/timing/performance

Subject: RE: octane/timing/performance
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:49:24 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Well, I am not too sure that octane influences the propagation of
> the flame
> front, but octane rating does affect your ability to get your engine to
> perform.

For more than you ever wanted to know about octane ratings, see
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part3/

There is an interesting chart there, which I've attempted to reproduce :

                          Basic Ignition Timing
Vehicle   Retarded                        Advanced
         5 degrees    Standard     5 degrees
  A              88                91               93
  B              86                90.5             94.5
  C              85.5              88               90
  D              84                87.5             91
  E              82.5              87               90

This suggests that retarding your timing by 5 degrees may "buy" you the
equivalent of 3-4 octane points.

There's also some hints on jazzing up your octane rating ... including the
observation that it's not cost-effective.

Randall