RE: Microsoft Truck, the TR3a and other thoughts (longish)

To: "'David Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Microsoft Truck, the TR3a and other thoughts (longish)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:18:19 -0400
I've been told by a couple of people that aluminum is one of those odd
metals that actually gets stiffer when heated (until some sort of critical
melting point of course). Apparently that's what makes it so good for
airplane skin. I'm not so sure about that story, however I do know from
experience that heating AL doesn't seem to make it bend smoothly like steel.
It just seems to break into flakes as you bend it. Does that mean that
cooling the metal will make it follow the curve better without splitting as
you bend it? Beats me, but it would be interesting to know.

Cheers,

Mark