RE: Microsoft Truck, the TR3a and other thoughts (longish)

To: "'Gene'" <geneglenn@qwest.net>
Subject: RE: Microsoft Truck, the TR3a and other thoughts (longish)
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:35:19 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> What is the alloy of your aluminum?  Do you have access to an English
> Wheel.  Heating won't help.  On the portion to be adhered etch and
> alodine that after scuffing (just scuff) with a Scotchbrite pad (red)
[David Templeton] As for the alloy, unknown, it is off the shelf stock from
Canadian Tire ( same stock seen at Home Depot ).  What I can tell you for
the thickness, 1/16" it is pretty stiff and required good force to bend

> Etching and aloding aluminum makes paint almost impossible to remove,
> and I expect it does the same for JB Weld.  I also suspect there better
> adhesives than JB Weld, but they will be more costly.  I don't think JB
> will work well on flat surfaces.  Try some of the really good epoxy
> adhesives.  Do you have an R.S. Hughes (3M jobber) near you; they have
> everything.

[David Templeton] excuse my ignorance, but "aloding", is that like "acid
washing" where you use a mild acid to clean the surface?

Thanks
David Templeton
(looking forward to metallurgy 101 :-) )