Re: Ignition Warning Light Wiring

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Warning Light Wiring
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:22:08 -0500
> Kurtis, I don't own a TR4, but I'm fairly certain it's similar to the TR3
in
> this area.  The wires to the generator are in a completely separate
> sub-harness (just two wires wrapped together) and do not connect to the
main
> harness.  The generator wires connect only to the D and F terminals on the
> control box, and the D and F terminals on the generator.
>
> Thus, the wire from the warning light (which does run through the main
> harness) is a separate wire, and they are joined only at the D terminal on
> the control box.

That's pretty much what I suspected.  Thanks Randall.

> > I was
> > just curious about the second wire at the control box, since it doesn't
> > appear to me that my wiring harness has ever been apart at that point.
>
> I'd be more curious about how your generator is connected into the
circuit,
> since you apparently don't see the sub-harness to the generator.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that the two wires coming from the generator are
correct.  The section of my main wiring harness that runs under the
carburetors in the engine bay had some problems when I acquired the car, and
I've done some repair work to it.  Was the sub-harness unattached to the
main harness originally?  If so, it's likely I wrapped it all back up with
the main harness a couple of years ago when I repaired some of the wires in
the main harness.

I may go ahead and cut into my main harness and see if I can locate the
missing brown/yellow wire from the ignition lamp.

Thanks again.

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4