RE: Clutch Fork pin questions

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Fork pin questions
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:56:56 -0800
> The "new" transmission has a broken fork pin (how that happened in the
> 20,000 miles the transmission is supposed to have on it, I have no idea),

There were some defective pins on the market, not strong enough to handle
normal stress.

> but the problem is I can't get the clutch fork out. There is enough of the
> pin still in that the fork won't move on the arm and no amount of
> encouragement with a BFH seems to help. I'm thinking the only answer is to
> cut the arm and replace both parts, but if there is a trick that
> will allow
> me to salvage them, please let me know.

Mentally extend a line through the axis of the pin and out the other side of
the fork.  Center punch where the line meets the surface (which will be at a
fairly sharp angle).  Now drill into the fork, starting with the drill at
right angles to the surface but gradually turning to drill along the line.
After the hole breaks through into the cavity where the end of the pin is
trapped, withdraw the drill & drive the broken end out with a punch.

The hole is in a low-stress area of the fork, and doesn't hurt anything.  I
drove several years on a drilled fork and it still looked just fine.

> Also, the infamous article on the Buckeye site on cross drilling
> the clutch
> fork doesn't seem to be there anymore. Does anyone have a copy
> they can send
> me?

Sorry, I don't.  I asked the author for a copy, but he hasn't replied yet.

Randall