Re: TR5

To: <TR6UO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR5
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:13:09 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I know of a collector in search of a TR5 and told him that most of what he
would find (if anything) would be RH drive. I've
since found that there were some exports to Canada that later found their
way into the US and would be LH drive. How accurate is this?

The TR5 was never marketed in Canada or the US, only the TR250. A few
examples did sneak in over time but these were private imports.

I know that they used an early injections system and were an interim model
built only in '67, '68.  Any idea how many TR5s are still out there?

Of original build in the period, 8000 odd TR250's were built and about 2000
TR5's. Probably not many left of either variant

Any LH drive cars?

Of the UK built TR5, a number were LH drive for EFTA markets. However,
others with LH drive for EEC markets were made at the plant in Belgium and
can be identified with a 1 in front of the commission number. Then there are
the clones in the form of TR250's now coming back to Europe, being
'injectionised' and passed off as TR5's

Anyone know of one available in any condition?

No - but probably because of its rarity, it'll cost more than a 250 in
equivalent condition.

Any feedback at all on the TR5?

IMHO, probably the most characterful post sidescreen Triumph sports car of
the whole post-war period. It used a Lucas mechanical injection system with
the metering unit driven off the distributor pedestal, a 9.5:1 CR and a
different cam.

Jonmac

---