Restoring Bakelite

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Restoring Bakelite
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:40:01 -0800 (PST)
I'm working on the center cap of the steering wheel of my '54 TR2, and
the bakelite is quite faded. I've found a few sites on the web from
antique radio restorers that use anything from brass cleaner to metal
polish to restore these (with 6 hours of rubbing.)

I've heard the replacement parts are plastic and have too much shine
compared to the originals (as well as a $180 price tag). I'm
considering using the buffing wheel to see how it goes, but I'm looking
for some advise before I do somethign that will leave any permenant
damage.

Does anyone have some tips on how to bring back the shine to these
parts?

Thanks,

Dan
54 TR2 TS3590L