RE: Restoring Bakelite

To: "Dan Scharpf" <dfscharpf@yahoo.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Restoring Bakelite
From: "Greg Gelhar" <ggelhar@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:41:58 -0600
Hi Dan,

What I did when I had my 1958 TR3 was to "stain" the horn ring, button, and
dash knobs. The stain was a mixture of black lacquer and lacquer thinner.
The thinned paint soaks into the bakelite and cand be done over and over
again until you have the gloss you want. The lacquer dries fast and can be
buffed if you want a nice smooth finish. I always got nice compliments on
mine.

Greg Gelhar
1973 TR6
1980 TR8