RE: Restoring Bakelite

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Restoring Bakelite
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:21:23 -0800
> I've heard the replacement parts are plastic and have too much shine
> compared to the originals (as well as a $180 price tag). I'm
> considering using the buffing wheel to see how it goes, but I'm looking
> for some advise before I do somethign that will leave any permenant
> damage.
>
> Does anyone have some tips on how to bring back the shine to these
> parts?

About the only way to get them to look like original is to paint them with
something.  When Bakelite is cast, the coloring agent rises to the surface.
If you remove the surface layer, what's underneath is brown, not black.

BTW (and IMO) the original Bakelite was fairly shiny when it was new.  The
reproductions might be just a little too shiny, but just a little.  Haven't
tried it myself, but I would guess that a little light work with some 0000
steel wool would make them just about right.  Of course, I guess it depends
on whether you're going for the "factory" look or the "as delivered" look;
they would have been duller by the time they were delivered in the US.

Randall