Re: Wiper's carbon blocks-which way grooves go?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wiper's carbon blocks-which way grooves go?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:25:56 EST
Hi Carl,

I just disassembled a TR4 1-speed wiper motor that appeared to never have
been apart.

Just the opposite of what you wrote. The grooves in the brushes are installed
at right angle or perpendicular to the motor shaft and commutator
separations. Over time they will form a series of three or four "stripes" on
the copper
commutator plates.

In other words, no they don't perform a wiping action. In fact I'd guess the
bushings would catch or wear rapidly on the edges of the commutator plates if
installed the way you wrote. I'm not sure why the grooves are there, would
guess to improve contact and indicate wear.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

Hi Listers,
My brother is installing the two new carbon blocks (as sold by Moss) in his
1-speed TR4 wiper motor and wondering which way the grooves in the carbon
blocks go.
I figure the grooves should be installed parallel with the commutator
seperators - and are there to provide 'wiping action', for better starting
contact,
and maybe to help with 'bedding in'.
Is that right? Do the carbon block's grooves go parallel with the shaft and
commutator or should they run perpendicular?
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74