Re: Wiper's carbon blocks-which way grooves go?

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wiper's carbon blocks-which way grooves go?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:26:43 -0700
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

>My brother is installing the two new carbon blocks (as sold by Moss) in his
>1-speed TR4 wiper motor and wondering which way the grooves in the carbon
>blocks go.

When I took my TR3 wiper motor apart to renew the red wire one of those
brush/blocks was missing.  Found it looking brand new down in the bottom
of the housing.  The wiper appeared to have worked for more than 40
years with just the bracket running against the commutator on one side
and a brush in place on the other.  Conclusion:  It probably isn't real
fussy about which way it is in there.

Personally I would have *guessed* that the grooves were the side away
from the commutator.

Geo Hahn