RE: Transmission/overdrive problem ??

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Transmission/overdrive problem ??
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:10:32 -0800
> I'm looking for some help in troubleshooting a problem with my 60
> tr3A (OD)
> that started the last time I had it out for a run.  When I put
> the tranny into
> reverse and let out the clutch the car wouldn't budge,  It was
> like the brakes
> or transmission had locked up, but only in the reverse gear (forward gears
> ok).

Most likely, your overdrive is staying engaged for some reason.  Be very
careful, as the engine is strong enough to force the car backwards in that
state, which will do some very expensive damage to the overdrive.

There are several possible causes.  I'd start by eliminating electrical
causes, by disconnecting the solenoid.  If the problem goes away, start
checking for a short to ground in the wire from the relay to the lockout
switches.  If it doesn't, I'd suggest next observing the solenoid to be sure
the plunger isn't stuck inside, and then remove the operating valve and
clean the drain hole at the base of it.

BTW, I have the A-type service manual scanned and converted to a Word
document.  Few minor bugs in formatting that I never got around to fixing,
but the text prints clear since it's all been run through OCR.  If anyone
wants a copy (it's about 3.5 mb) let me know.

Randall