RE: Alternator Conversion

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Alternator Conversion
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:51:55 -0800
> Herman Van den Akker  says those are all junk ... imports with bad
> electronics that ended up killing two or three of his  batteries
> before he saw the light.

While I have great respect for Herman, I have always used inexpensive
rebuilt alternators on my cars.  Sometimes they don't last as long as they
should, for example one of the cheap rebuilt Motorcraft alternators (no idea
who did the rebuild) only lasted 5 years on my TR3A daily driver before one
of the bolts fell out.  But I've never had one "kill" a battery.

Of course, I tend to pay attention to such things all the time, while it
seems some people are oblivious to whether their charging system is working
or not.  If you're in the oblivious category, paying 4 times the price for a
GM rebuilt alternator might be worth the price.

Randall