Re: Red engine bay! was GM Alternator Mounting Problems

To: Graham Stretch <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Subject: Re: Red engine bay! was GM Alternator Mounting Problems
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:42:13 -0500
Cc: List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Thanks Graham,

This is the same, GM 7127 90amp unit. It is definitely larger but fits
with out a problem. The modification to the lower bolt through is really
minor, the rest lined up perfectly.
Your lucky enough to have two Triumphs, I have no place to put another &
keep my wife at the same time :-) .
When I bought this car it had the engine bay sprayed with a black
undercoat like substance. During an engine rebuild I couldn't put a
brand new clean & shinny motor back in to the black hole. I remember
reading an article by another enthusiast ( I would love to give him
credit for the inspiration & well documented article) who detailed his
experience in striping & detailing his engine bay with spray paint. At
first I wasn't sure what the quality would be, but after three days of
Lacquer thinner, paint remover & lots of sanding I was down to metal. I
gathered info from a body shop friend & collected my supplies. Many
coats of etching primer, sandable primer, 3 coats of Plasti-kite Toyota
red spray & 3 coats of clear I was amazed how good it looked. As a mater
of fact it looked good enough to win a first in class & several second
in class awards in our local shows. Not bad for spray paint and about
$100.00 bucks in supplies. After four years as a daily driver in the
heat of the summer & the cold of winter it still looks good. Not being
directly exposed to the weather & sun would probably account for that.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.