Replacing Ball joints

To: "John Fleming" <joflemin@nortelnetworks.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net iBCLE4AC020423
Subject: Replacing Ball joints
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:10:07 -0500
Message text written by "John Fleming"
>Now I want to put everything back together.  I ended up taking off the
sway bar because I just couldn't see any other way to get the control arms

off.  Problem now is the sway bar seems to have "grown" wider.  If I put
the end of the sway bar into the control arm first, the end of the control

arm that attaches to the car frame is a good 2 inches away from where it's

supposed to be.  Does the sway bar flex?  It came off pretty easy but it
seems like the only way to get the control arms back in is to compress it
like a bow.  The sway bar is pretty rigid so I think I'll need to pump
some weights to get it there!
<

The trick I used is to install the inside sway bar bushings but not the
outside bushings.  This allows the arms the freedom to  move to where the
bar itself is contacting the ID of the bushing hole.  Once the bushings are
in place the arm movement is more restrictricted.  Also, make sure the
inner bushings are fully home.  Since the sway bar is angled out, the
further you push the bushing the narrower the spacing between the two ends.

Dave Massey
80 TR8