re: U-Joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: U-Joints
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:17:39 EST
Hi Jerry,

The 3 new GMB u-joints I bought 20 years ago (not installed yet) don't look
so good.
Compared to Spicer or GKN - GMBs seem iffy.

But my question now is; how can I tell what I really have before me!?!

This brand new Hardy Spicer u-joint has 'GKN' cast into the body (it came new
in a Spicer box but the Spicer box DOES have a small GKN logo printed on it).
[merger I suppose]

Why does my nos GKN boxed u-joint have no markings?

And one GMB boxed u-joint with no markings either.

But two GMB boxed u-joints, bodies unmarked, but 'caps' that read U.S.A. -
all three GMB boxes read 'Made in Japan'!

In summary it appears that Spicer and GNK u-joints are of highest quality and
the GMBs have questionable caps.

But does anyone really know how to identify an authentic Spicer, GKN or GMB
u-joint?

Jerry - what identifying marks are cast into your GMBs?

Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
Does anyone else have first hand experience with the GMB joints.
Thanks,
Jerry Van Vlack