Re: U-joints

To: anabil@caltel.com
Subject: Re: U-joints
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:10:30 EST
Bill,
I have done quite a few U-joint jobs on my Triumphs and if I could pay ANYONE
a reasonable fee to do any more that I will need: They have the job!  Not
that it requires any special skills. It just can be a real pain in the rear to
get the old ones out and the new ones in. I have busted a $300.00 Vise, bent
carrier hubs, cracked my knuckles, crushed the needle bearings on new joints,
messed up my sockets and generally got real dirty and whizzed off while
installing U-joints.
Some guys have a knack for it.  My friend TriumphBob will come over, laugh at
me and take a hammer, tap the carrier and the bearing cap will come walking
right out for him.  That almost never happens for me. I hate it.  I will give
him a Beer or just about anything he wants if he can perform his U-Joint magic.
You will never know until you try if you have the knack but if you don't I
hope there is a U-Joint Wizard for you in Northern California.
Cheers,
Darrell