RE: Pros/Cons of organizing an LBC Club

To: tr3driver@comcast.net ("Randall"), dmallin@attglobal.net ("Don
Subject: RE: Pros/Cons of organizing an LBC Club
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:52:14 -0500
For the most part I agree with Randall, particularly the suggestion to
affiliate with a larger body such as VTR, if primarily for economic reasons
(cheaper insurance, etc.). However, I must disagree on one point Randall makes:

>> There is some concern/questions about the liabilities of becoming
>> organized: the need for officers,
>> dues, bank accounts, insurance for events in case someone gets hurt
>> and decides to sue the club's
>> officers etc.
>
>I'm no lawyer, but I believe this concern is way overblown.  With no
>organization and no insurance, there are no "deep pockets" and thus little
>chance of a lawsuit.  Once you start having an organization and especially
>insurance, then the probability of being sued goes up rapidly.....

========
Having witnessed some unfortunate legal actions in the past regarding incidents
occuring during "club events," the point here is not so much the deep pocket
syndrome but more a matter of personal liability whereby one or many members of
a group might be named personally in a legal action and therefore possibly be
held personally liable. Not that this might not happen anyway, but
incorporation of an enthusiast group just might help to protect each and every
member against being personally sued.

Hey, I'm no lawyer, either, so I don't know for sure about any of this.... ;-)

--Andy Mace