RE: Pros/Cons of organizing an LBC Club

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Pros/Cons of organizing an LBC Club
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:58:23 -0800
> Some of us would like to get better organized and sponsor events such
> as car shows or social events
> such as picnics, Holiday dinner dance, whatever.

Just my personal observation, Don, club events pretty much wind up being
spearheaded by one person anyway.  With only 20 people, I'd keep it at an
informal level.  For car shows, just have everyone agree to show up at a
particular place and time.  Local restaurants (especially those with a 'vintage'
theme) are generally receptive to hosting such things for free, once you point
out that the car owners will likely want to eat.  For that matter, if you all
just park in their lot for a few hours, it's not likely they'll kick you out.
Makes really bad press in the local paper if they do.

For picnics of course, you can just converge on the local park.

My local Triumph clubs both hold the holiday party at a member's home ... many
club members and I much prefer that over renting a venue, even though our
parties are getting too big for most member's homes.  But these are clubs with
well over 100 members each, I don't think you'll have that problem with only 20.
Something like "pot luck" for everything but the main course, and a defined
donation to cover the cost of the main course (from Boston Market or wherever)
plus rented tables, chairs or whatnot seems to work well.

> There is some concern/questions about the liabilities of becoming
> organized: the need for officers,
> dues, bank accounts, insurance for events in case someone gets hurt
> and decides to sue the club's
> officers etc.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe this concern is way overblown.  With no
organization and no insurance, there are no "deep pockets" and thus little
chance of a lawsuit.  Once you start having an organization and especially
insurance, then the probability of being sued goes up rapidly.  One approach for
insurance is to apply to become a VTR chapter (which means the club will pay
dues to VTR but members don't necessarily have to join).  VTR has a group
insurance policy which member clubs can add their event to (for a fee).  But for
20 people, I still think you'd be far better off staying strictly informal.

Randall Y