RE: Assembly lube

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Assembly lube
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:52:35 -0800
> Wondering what listers have been using for assembly lube in motor
> rebuilding? Need something that will cling to parts and surfaces as the
> engine sits over the winter.

I've been using assembly lube.  Think the tube I have was made by Sta-Lube, but
it's available in other brands.

> I have heard that the Lucas (no, not that
> one!) oil products, especially the oil fortifier is pretty sticky and is
> recommended as an assembly lube.

I prefer something that contains MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide aka moly).  MoS2 is
an extreme pressure dry lubricant, to provide additional protection against
galling during initial startup.

> Any recommendations?

"CV joint grease" is another option.  It generally contains MoS2 in a sticky
grease base.

> Back in the 60's we would use a product called Lubra-Plate (probably
> misspelled) that was made for marine engines.

Lubriplate is still around, but they sell a lot more than one product these
days.  They were fairly famous back then for being one of the first to offer
MoS2 grease to the public.  Wonder if you can still buy those little tubes of it
?

Randall