Rocker set up problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rocker set up problems
From: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:53:55 +0000
Hi all,
I started to set up the rocker shaft tonight on the TR2. I had acquired a TR4
shaft and aluminum pedestals. The arms were also in good condition. The problem
is when I bolt down the shaft I have to adjust the ball on the rocker
right back
otherwise on the closed valves I cannot get any tappet clearance. In
fact on No1
tappet I cannot get tappet clearance at all. Firstly I presumed the set up I
acquired was the same as was originally used dimension wise, secondly the head
was skimmed, could this be the root of the problem?. I am using the original
pushrods. Should I shim the pedestals to give me more clearance (if this is an
option) or do I need shorter pushrods, if such things exist!!. I did not think
a head skim would have such a dramatic effect. I used the asbestos type copper
Head gasket, maybe I need a extra thick one, again if such a thing exists. Has
anybody experienced this issue and what is the consensus on the best solution.
I really thought I was there, engine finally re-built and ready to install,
just goes to show you you never know with triumph!!.
Thanks in advance
John
--
John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)