RE: Rocker set up problems

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Rocker set up problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:30:07 -0800
> The problem
> is when I bolt down the shaft I have to adjust the ball on the rocker
> right back
> otherwise on the closed valves I cannot get any tappet clearance.

> secondly the head
> was skimmed, could this be the root of the problem?

Yes, but only if a good deal was removed from the head.  You might want to
recheck it's thickness, someone may have previously shaved it for racing,
which may cause problems in a street motor.

> Should I shim the pedestals to give me more clearance
> (if this is an option)

I wouldn't recommend it.

> or do I need shorter pushrods, if such things exist!!

They do indeed, from any supplier of vintage race parts.  I got mine at BFE
:

British Frame and Engine
4831 N. Ryland Ave
Temple City, CA, USA  91780
(626) 443-0939
bfeken@copper.net

> . I did not think
> a head skim would have such a dramatic effect.

Depends entirely on how much is taken off.

> I used the
> asbestos type copper
> Head gasket, maybe I need a extra thick one, again if such a
> thing exists.

They do exist, but again are an inferior solution, IMO.  Last I heard, Mordy
could cut head gaskets up to .120", which is about .060" more than the stock
gasket (after compression).
http://www.headgasket.com/

Randall Y