re: Opinion Poll - Shop Manuals

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Opinion Poll - Shop Manuals
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:39:13 EST
Hi Ronald,
My 2nd choice TR Manual is on eBay at the moment. Triumph TR4, TR4A 1961-67
AUTOBOOK Workshop Manual for Triumph TR4 1961-65 Triumph TR4A 1965-67 by
Kenneth Ball.
It is a most excellent book in my opinion because it's based on the official
workshop manual (I call it 'workshop manual lite') but more importantly it
includes 'Fault Diagnosis' sections after every chapter. This feature can be
very
helpfull when you are wondering what your malfunction possibilities could be.
This is the book I used for my first rebuild 30 years ago and THE BOOK I look
to for initial trouble-shooting plus it's perfect for the trunk.
They typically re-sell for $10-20. I have seen this same but later published
book with a more modern 'color' cover - but the original (as shown in eBay
listing below) happens to be the hard cover with permanent grey vinyl covering.
It was first published by Autopress Ltd written by the well known auto writer
Kenneth Ball in co-operation with the Triumph Motor Co Ltd in 1969. Reprinted
in 1970 and again in 1971 (in England). ISBN 0 85147 089 0. And reprinted in
the 'color cover' even later.
My original is so greasy I bought a very clean used one these 30 years later
for $12 plus $5 shipping by searching the vintage book resellers on the
internet.
For workshop bench use I do recommend the soft-cover (second edition) Triumph
TR4 & TR4A Workshop Manual as most important. But for any kind of initial
trouble-shooting, or to have a small but very in-depth TR4 manual for your
trunk
this AUTOPRESS book is excellent.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
(see eBay listing below)
1961-67 Triumph TR4/TR4A Autopress Shop Manual
Item number: 7946696425
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6762&item=79
46696425&rd=1
-------
Which manual is the better reference for an early TR-4
Triumph's blue soft cover - Triumph TR4 & TR4A Workshop Manual
Clymer's - Triumph TR2 - TR6 & GT6  1954-1976 Shop Manual
Haynes - TRIUMPH TR2 TR3 TR3A TR4 TR4A 1952 - 1967 1991cc to 2138cc Owners
Workshop Manual
Or some other book?
Ronald Griffing
62? TR-4 CT1550L