Re: detailing - wire wheels?

To: "John & Patricia Donnelly" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: detailing - wire wheels?
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:31:30 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "John & Patricia Donnelly" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
To: "'FRED E THOMAS'" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>; "Triumphs"
<Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>; "spitfires" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 8:51 AM

> I'm interested in cleaning wire wheels, not so much in the cleaner but
rather
> the tool to use. Before any major show I actually pull the wheels to
thoroughly
> clean them, so the twice a year task (spring and fall) takes care of
lubing the
> splines as well. I'd like to know the consensus of what everybody uses
other
> times.
>
> Moss has their $10 brush (does it work?), and tooth brushes take forever,
but
> is there something else?
>
> Thx, John

I also pull the wheels ( 60 spoke chrome/stainless). I use some spray on
wheel cleaner from pep boys or wherever, hose it off, and then start with
car cleaner/polish. Cleaning the small spaces between the spokes and the
center hub makes me glad I didn't get 72 spoke wheels. I use my relatively
small fingers and a cloth for most of it, but I've found that those foam
brushes on the red plastic handles (not the wood handles) are good for
getting in the tight spaces. They don't hold up well, but they're pretty
cheap.

Bob