Body Mounting Question (longish)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Body Mounting Question (longish)
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:59:57 EST
Hello all,

I am finally putting my TR6 body back on it's frame after two years. I had
saved and labeled all of the original pads and am using them as an initial
guide
before I fit the wings and doors for final adjustment. I started from the
front and worked my back, leaving a few turns of the bolts to go so that I
could
shift the body as needed. I was surprised and pleased that all the pads were
going into place exactly like the original. That is, until I got to the
differential cross member. The original had one aluminum pad on each side, and
that
is what is required per the TRF fit kit. However, it now takes two pads to fill
the gap. The rear most mounting point still needs one pad, as per original,
so it doesn't seem as though the rear bowed down while off the frame. I did
have angle iron welded across the door openings to prevent this.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening? Am I worrying about
nothing?

One more question. The TRF mounting kit mentions that the sill bracket
mountings are where you adjust the door gap. I assume to close the upper rear
gap
(which seems a bit much before I took it off), you would reduce the number of
shims on the rear bracket.  If you need to do that, how do you get to them? The
bracket and sill seem to effectively box in the shims. I can't imagine getting
to them without lifting the body again. Is the correct method and can you
easily add or remove shims to that area?

Thank for you help,

Bud Trussell