Re: Original Color Steel Wheels - TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Original Color Steel Wheels - TR4
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:46:34 EST
Hi again Jim,

Lou's response *really* helps clarifiy things. By March of 1963 TR4
commission numbers were in the CT21000+ range, so your car (CT17000~) *must*
have
originally had "Argent" silver wheels. That color is pretty easily found, if
not
locally it's available from folks like Eastwood Company, for example.

In fact, it was March, 1963 when New White started to be used as one of the
body color choices. I find it a bit odd that they switched to Spa White for the
wheels, because I think New White superceded Spa White as a body color. Maybe
they had gallons upon gallons of Spa White left over and started spraying the
wheels to use it up! From what I've heard, stranger things happened! (I.e.,
some TR2/3 frames were originally painted odd colors, just whatever happened to
be in the spray gun at the time.)

BTW, you are aware that the registration date and build date of many of these
cars often don't match, due to time in shipment and stockpiling? My car was
built in 1962, but sold and registered in 1964. Yours may say 1963 on the
title, but it was definitely built in the Fall of 1962. The commission number
is
the best resource and even better is to get a build certificate for your
specific car, with details of how it was originally painted, trimmed and
equipped.
Check out the BMIHT website at
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive/certificate/default.htm

As a side note, my car was originally Spa White (and will be returned to that
color in the not-too-distant future) with Midnight Blue interior, which is an
"unofficial" color combo not normally listed. Perhaps it was a special build,
although I doubt it considering the length of time between build and
sale/registration.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm
Jim:

According to TRA's Judging Guidelines, steel wheels on the TR4 until March
of 1963 were a "warm" silver similar to the silver on the wire wheels.  In
March of 63 the steel wheel color was changed to "Spa White".  I don't have
a brand of spray paint to suggest but can find if no one on the list can
recommend.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana