RE: TR3A idle speed

To: "John A. Wise" <Wise@erau.edu>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3A idle speed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:54:26 -0800
> I have adjusted everything I can think of.  I even disconnected the
> throttle linkage and adjusted it so it would pull down on the
> throttle ever so lightly with the throttle off.

"Ever so lightly" ?  There is supposed to be a return spring on the linkage that
is fairly strong, in addition to the return springs on each carb.  The return
springs on the carbs have clamps similar to the linkage, are you sure they're
wound reasonably tight ?

> Is there something that I am missing???

In my case, the final part of the puzzle was worn throttle shafts.  The front
carb was worn so bad that the throttle plate was actually dragging on the bore.

Another thing to watch for is pivot balls that are worn oblong.  If you tighten
up the screw in the end to compensate for the wear, the oblong ball may bind
only at the limits of travel (eg idle).

Randall