GT6 conversion to RHD

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 conversion to RHD
From: "Tobin, Greg" <Greg.Tobin@trizetto.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:57:06 -0700
  I was wondering if anyone on the list has converted a LHD Spit or GT6 to
RHD?  I am currently doing a body-off resto on my 69 GT6+ , and the thought
occured to me that it could be switched over with a reasonable amount of
effort.

   Looking at the floor & firewall, the floor appears to be the same,
excluding the slave cylinder notch, which doesn't really concern me, space
is about equal.
   The firewall sill (what else to call this) would have to be swapped to
allow the brake MC and Clutch MC to be swapped.  Cut out, reform/reweld to
opposite sides.  Either relocate the battery elsewhere (already a
possibility in this project) or simply reverse sides.
    A RHD steering rack would need to be fitted, new from UK, not a concern.
    Dash panel support (what lies behind the wood) would need to be
essentially flipped over.  This piece was one I was going to remake as it
stands, so this doesn't pose a big issue.
    New hole in firewall for steering column support mounts.
    Brake/Clutch/accel pedal mounts would have to be modifed. The current
accel bellcrank setup will not be used regardless, replaced with a Lokar
setup, so only the brake/clutch are affected.  Are they reversable on the
shaft?
     Brake lines will need to be moved accordingly, not a big concern, parts
are available for this.
    Electrics would have to be modifed to adjust for different placement of
guages, fuse box and wiring harness routing locations.  Not a huge concern
as a new harness is going to be made from scratch anyways.
   Wiper motor would need to be moved, the concern is the drive mechanism
connecting the wipers themselves.

  Is this really feasible? Should I even attempt it?  Have I forgotten
something key?  The body is already off the frame, so I'm thinking about the
engine compartment from memory, and looking at my  72 spit for comparision.
Since pretty much everything is getting replaced on this car anyways, there
doesn't seem to be a big cost in converting, just time & fabrication..

   There's no compelling reason to do this other than the fact that hardly
any RHD models made it over to the States, and it's already an odd duck
being a 6+ anyways, that this would make it more so!

Greg Tobin